AUKN Relief
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10

+6
ilmaestro
20thCenturyBoy
Rui
vashdaman
zin5ki
Joshawott
10 posters

Go down

Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10 Empty Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10

Post  Joshawott Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 pm

You all know what to do.

Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: The Sacred Star of Milos
(Warning: Spoilers)

First off, I want to say that I went into this film with low expectations. I had heard that while it was an entertaining movie, but a bad instalment in the Fullmetal Alchemist[/i] franchise. However, I was curious (and a completionist. Once I get the Brotherhood OVAs, I'll own all the manga volumes, all of 2003 series, all of Brotherhood and both movies).
I do see what people meant by that though; although for me, it isn't so much due to the lack of main series characters appearing (I imagine this was done so that the movie could appeal to both those who had only seen the 2003 anime, or have only seen Brotherhood) but it was how the characters were portrayed - they seemed "out of character" (For example, Ed's lines sounded more like a typical protagonist's, as opposed to the Edward Elric we know). The only characters who seemed to be exactly like their series selves were Alphonse (although even his character seemed dilated) and Roy (and he did next to bugger all in the film). Armstrong and Breda only getting a single line each annoyed the hell out of me, while Riza and Winry both said little (although Riza had a fair amount of screen presence). The movie was essentially about Julia Crichton, although as she was a fairly strong character, I have no complaints there.

One thing I noticed instantly was the art style. I was a bit put off by it when I originally saw the trailers, but it does look really good in motion. The only thing that bugged me was one scene where Al's helmit was drawn a bit too high, but oh well. The animation was really good and the action scenes were incredible.

What I didn't like though was the almost soap opera they gave to Julia's brother, Ashley Crichton (such as
Spoiler:
...seriously, did anyone else find that annoying to follow? Also, as soon as we were introduced to the concept of Table City's pillars, I outright said
Spoiler:
and low and behold, it came true...do they think we're stupid? Also, at one point Al said that he and Ed came to Table City to look for other ways to get their bodies back...erm no, didn't they actually go there to track down who they thought was Ashley Crichton?

There is one thing I have to ask as well, that's a big spoiler for the end of the film:
Spoiler:

I also noticed a few similarities to Conqueror of Shamballa:
Spoiler:
- L'Arc~en~Ciel doing the main theme.

Overall, it was an entertaining film and visually amazing, but its connection to the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise was fairly weak.
7/10

Joshawott

Back to top Go down

Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10 Empty Re: Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10

Post  zin5ki Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 am

Intriguing. Collapsible spoilers are supported within this forum software.
Spoiler:
zin5ki
zin5ki

Back to top Go down

Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10 Empty Re: Rate the Last Anime you watched out of 10

Post  vashdaman Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:35 am

natsuyuki rendezvous

I really wanted to like this, and I tried...but it was just so disappointing. The first two or three episodes were great and had me really hoping that it would not rapidly start plummeting into the depths of nonsensical- trying too hard to be deep and profound- emotional gibberish, yet I feel there was far too much nonsensical gibberish in that show for it's own (and my own) good. The biggest thing the show gets wrong is it's characters, none of the three leads are particularly likeable: you have Hazuki, who comes across as a generally boring and disinterested guy who happens for some reason to be totally infatuated with Rokka, yet is quite arrogant and overly demanding towards her. Then you have the ghost husband, who despite being a talented florist while alive, ends up as a selfish and petulant waste of astral space. Rokka is the least offensive of the lot, but there's just not a whole lot to her, she seems quiet, kind and dedicated, but she's lacking any kind of spark.

I was hoping it would go somewhere, but it never really did, the ending wasn't great and some details seemed completely random:

Spoiler:

4/10
vashdaman
vashdaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:41 pm

vashdaman wrote:natsuyuki rendezvous

I really wanted to like this, and I tried...but it was just so disappointing. The first two or three episodes were great and had me really hoping that it would not rapidly start plummeting into the depths of nonsensical- trying too hard to be deep and profound- emotional gibberish, yet I feel there was far too much nonsensical gibberish in that show for it's own (and my own) good. The biggest thing the show gets wrong is it's characters, none of the three leads are particularly likeable: you have Hazuki, who comes across as a generally boring and disinterested guy who happens for some reason to be totally infatuated with Rokka, yet is quite arrogant and overly demanding towards her. Then you have the ghost husband, who despite being a talented florist while alive, ends up as a selfish and petulant waste of astral space. Rokka is the least offensive of the lot, but there's just not a whole lot to her, she seems quiet, kind and dedicated, but she's lacking any kind of spark.

Spoiler:

Ahh! I completely disagree!

For me, all three of the characters were lovely. They were flawed as you say, but under the rather extreme circumstances it seemed plausible. Rokka was a darling, Hazuki was naive but genuinely sympathetic and Shimao was one of the most interesting and nuanced characters of the current season.

Spoiler:

One of the things I love most about the personal way that this kind of anime is created (with an original creator's unique take on life being blended into the story) is that we end up with a lot of offbeat characters who don't fit the usual archetypes that industries such as Hollywood continuously pump out. I can relate more to Hazuki, Shimao and Rokka than to the characters in most big live action shows for this reason. Unfortunately, for the same reason, they seem to alienate viewers too ;_;

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking about this more when I was riding the bus and I have more to say about why I love the characters!

I think part of the problem with Shimao is that he is written by a woman.
Spoiler:

R
Rui
Rui

Back to top Go down

Post  vashdaman Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:38 am

Hmm, interesting. I think we definitely had very different experiences with the show, haha. I think that perhaps part of my problem with the show is that I seem to have a relatively low tolerance for romantic melancholy these days, if I'm honest. And I seem to often find Japanese anime romantic melancholy particularly grating, for some reason. I can see what you mean when you say that the Japanese may be more adapt at portraying intimacy than the west, Japanese romance dramas do often have an intensity that western ones lack, and I can relate to intense romantic relationships, but so often that intensity is expressed in ways that I can't relate to, they're often too hammy and unrealistic-or so they seem to me
Spoiler:
, that intensity is often wrapped up in self pitying characters who seem to have nothing else they feel passion or purpose for. And that annoys me, I guess.

I can understand alot of what your saying though, Rui. But
Spoiler:

But as I've said it's probably me as much as the show, as I seem to have these sort of issues with many Japanese dramas.
vashdaman
vashdaman

Back to top Go down

Post  20thCenturyBoy Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 am

One Piece S2

9/10

With this season the show covered its first saga, and boy was it epic. The Alabasta saga is a brilliant tale of subterfuge, political/social climate and friendship (of course). One of the key ingredients in all this culminating was Crocodile, the first (and still really only) evil genius type villian Luffy and crew have went up against. The man is dangerously genre savvy at times
Spoiler:
. The fact that he actually has
Spoiler:
makes him genuinely interesting and a real threat. Crocodile's lackies are all entertaining too, particularly Mr. 3 and Bon Clay, and present some very good fights with the Straw Hat Crew. Usopp/Chopper's battle with Mr.4/Miss Merry Christmas was especially good as it not only had a lot of comedy but Usopp being brave, and gosh darnit I love it when he decides to man up in things. It's just amazing to watch this weak, coward decide that he's willing to risk his life if it means saving his friends.

It's not all just about the bad guys though, there's some new faces on the Straw Hat's side too. Vivi settles in quick enough to the group and I think you can genuinely feel the anguish she has in trying to prevent her kingdom from falling apart, and it actually created a refreshing moment for a shonen series when Luffy tells her that she can't stop the war without people dying, normally the hero will do all they can to stop this from happening. One thing that annoys me somewhat is
Spoiler:
Chopper is a great fit with the crew joining Luffy and Usopp in the idiot group, but also Usopp and Nami in the cowardly group, his backstory is also one of the most tragic, the dramatic irony of it all.

There's plenty of good stuff for Zoro this season, which is always a plus for me. His fight at Whisky Peak is excellent and the geography of it is fluid and very different to most fights. He also has a bad ass fight with Mr.1 and plenty of great comedy moments too, as the 'Zoro has no sense of direction' jokes start and his attitude when turning to wax was hilarious, 'if I'm going to turn into a statue then I'm going to do it in this awesome pose'.

Probably the only thing that stops this from being the utmost perfect season is the filler. The "Chip and Dip" episode is terrible, I'm fine with the Sand Pirates and Camu etc, but that other one is God awful. The Zenny pirates is also dreadfully forgettable, though it does have Zoro lost jokes in it. The Rainbow Mist is decent filler though, overall One Piece filler can be genuinely fine to good but there a couple of real stinkers here.

20thCenturyBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  ilmaestro Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:07 am

Haven't watched the last three eps of NatsuVous (am I totally making that up? Is there a better/more official abbreviation?) yet so I will read the spoilers afterwards, but why do characters have to be likable to be good, compelling characters?

I love the fact that Atsushi acts like a bit of a shit so much of the time - the dude got a pretty raw deal overall (this could be an "understatement"), and I would challenge 99% of people to deal with it any better. The fact that they manage to make him sympathetic is more important to me than making him likable.

ilmaestro

Back to top Go down

Post  teonzo Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Crest of the Stars

This sci-fi opera reminded me a bit of Infinite Ryvius, mostly on how the male main character acts and his voice-overs. The setting is nice and some dialogues are great. What I did not like that much is that the whole series does not seem to be focused, it just seems like various pieces of good stories put together without a real focus on how the main story is developing (if there is one). If they put the same care on the storytelling as the one they put on the more refined dialogues, then this could have been much better. Enjoyable series overall, but not great.

Score : 7.5 / 10

Banner of the Stars 1

This is just Crest of the Stars part 2. Pretty much the same in everything. More space battles that on first look nice, but after few time they become boring and seem to be put there just because the writers did not know how to paste together two little arcs. The thing I liked more is that the war is depicted as a struggle to get better and not to try to slaughter as many enemies as possible: for example they never show enemies dying.

Score : 7.5 / 10

Teo

teonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  animefreak17 Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:15 am

About bloody time I got back on here hi guys I'm back

Good news I got my new 40inch tv it looks great.

Iv been watching a few animes since I couldn't get back here til now so the reviews going to be long.

Gyo

Ok iv got to say that this movie is ridiculously disturbing but its a good movie,
The story is a some what zombie sort of film but with fish.

The plot
Fish start coming to the surface and everyone's in a panic there are sharks and god knows what else and this girl is trying to get back to her boyfriend but is having trouble finding him because of the fish.

The movie gets even more disturbing when It gets to the middle of the film and the villain is is so stupied but it's ok

8/10

Beck

A kid who follows his own way in life instead of letting society what he should do. The school stuff gets on my nerves abit but the parts with the band is good and the musics good too.

8/10

Area 88 ova

I like the other series where is concentrates more on the photographer but this story I'd more of our main character that flys the plains. The animations aged unlike its renewed counter part it's ok but I perfer the newer one

7.5/10

Kurau phantom memory

I was looking forward to watching this cause I only watched up to half way when I watched it on tv ages ago and I'm glad I finally finished it it's a good series.

8/10

Sorry for the sort reviews I'm tired and had a few anime to go though
animefreak17
animefreak17

Back to top Go down

Post  Toriko The Grappler Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:10 am

Yeah ive finnaly gotten back to! Im Sanji no 1 on the other site.

Anyways

Fairy Tail volume 1
7/10
Ive been wanting to watch this show for ages now, and eventually bought the first volume from HMV.

I didnt know what to think of it at first, but to my surpirse it was actually pretty decent! Not Fantastic, but good none the less. Its pretty obvious it borrows alot from other shonen shows (especially from One Piece) but that isnt always a bad thing. If your gonna borrow from another show, why not borrow from a good one?

I liked the chracters and it was a very full of life. it was also a very funny, especially Grey losing his cloths. Some of the fights were pretty cool aswell, especially during the begenning.

What i Didnt like was the constant use of still shots during some of the fight scenes. It wore old and was a really cheap decision! If your gonna have a long running fighting show, it is VITAL you have good animation. Its ok to use still shots from time to time but not always. And if you are gonna do alot of still shots, then make sure they look painfull!

Overall, a decent start to a shonen anime, but its constant use of still shots wares old pretty quick. I will continue it despite this as it is a very energetic show Very Happy

Toriko The Grappler

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Irony Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 am

So I finished Natsuyuki Rendezvous today.

Dunno if I can add much to what's already been said; I think I fall somewhere between Vash and Rui on the matter. It seemed a very solid, compelling series. The characters may not always have been the most likeable, but cruicially, I thought they were absolutely believable. The utter lack of histrionics throughout the show was very welcome and I felt completely sold on what could easily have been a pretty stupid premise. I'm not sure how memorable the show's likely to be in the long run, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.
Professor Irony
Professor Irony

Back to top Go down

Post  vashdaman Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 am

ilmaestro wrote:Haven't watched the last three eps of NatsuVous (am I totally making that up? Is there a better/more official abbreviation?) yet so I will read the spoilers afterwards, but why do characters have to be likable to be good, compelling characters?

I love the fact that Atsushi acts like a bit of a shit so much of the time - the dude got a pretty raw deal overall (this could be an "understatement"), and I would challenge 99% of people to deal with it any better. The fact that they manage to make him sympathetic is more important to me than making him likable.

Maybe I was a bit inaccurate in my initial post, it's not Atsushi's (?) childish a arsey behavior that annoyed me strictly. I actually enjoyed watching his childish attempts at sabotaging Hazuki in the early episodes. But I think the crucial point is that I just didn't find him compelling. As for the sympathetic aspect, well I did have some sympathy for him because as you stated he did have a bit of a raw deal, but as the show went (dragged) on, I think it became evident that I just didn't have the amount of sympathy for him that the show wanted me to have, I mean he was a ghost after all!

But he wasn't my my only problem of course, it was the fact that I found both of the men in the love triangle to be duds. Hazuki clicked with me even less than the ghost. I did quite like Rokka though.

The utter lack of histrionics

If histrionics means what google informs me it means (exaggerated/ overly dramatic) then I have to respectfully disagree. The show's attempts at being overly dramatic are probably what detracted from the show for me the most.

I can understand everyone's opinion on it though, it is somewhat unusual and is a quality made production no doubt. I was probably a little harsh in my review, but it just didn't really click with me.
vashdaman
vashdaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Irony Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:26 am

vashdaman wrote:If histrionics means what google informs me it means (exaggerated/ overly dramatic) then I have to respectfully disagree. The show's attempts at being overly dramatic are probably what detracted from the show for me the most.

Hmm, fair enough I suppose. On the whole, I found it very low-key, but it probably depends what you're comparing it to. Naming no names, but I found it a masterclass in understatement compared to a certain series about a girl with long black hair...
Professor Irony
Professor Irony

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 am

I think the difference is that the circumstances in Natsuyuki Rendezvous were proportional to the amount of emotion and drama. When watching a shoujo/shounen romance show, the characters always treat things which objectively don't matter very much as though they are the most important things in the entire world, e.g. school projects, asking someone out for the first time, being left alone with someone of the opposite sex. Natsuyuki Rendezvous, being aimed at a different demographic, dispensed with all of that melodrama. It certainly had a lot of drama, but given the subject matter it never felt disproportionate and topics which might be agonised over for dozens of episodes in other series were generally dealt with within seconds. The issues in the series were dramatic and world-changing within the context of Rokka's little life.

Also, I picked up a few tidbits about plants from the series. Pretty cool.

I do think the whimsical fantasy elements alienated a lot of viewers because there was a lot of contrast with the realistic romance plot. I also think that being spot on with the intended demographic for once might make me more passionate about it than normal ^^;

R
Rui
Rui

Back to top Go down

Post  vashdaman Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:45 am

Yeah I'd agree with Rui about that. On the whole the drama was proportional I guess, but it was still a bit baffling and hammy nonetheless
Spoiler:

Its that kind of stuff that's too hammed up for my tastes.

Maybe this means I'm uber manly again?
vashdaman
vashdaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 am

More Natsuyuki Rendezvous discussion on a new page of the topic...

I don't think he was being entirely serious
Spoiler:

R
Rui
Rui

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down